Oct 14, 2009

Ainsley Officially Learns to Nod YES!


I've been working for months to teach Ainsley to nod yes and no (so has her speech therapist). She got no right away but yes has been slow to come. We've read Leslie Patricelli's "No No Yes Yes" over and over. I position her head moving it up and down for yes on each yes page (aka. patterning) and she nods her head no by herself most of the time. It's been effective. Over the last few days I've been able to get her to put her head down to indicate yes about 50% of the time after repeated requests. Today Ainsley had speech therapy and she did it at least half a dozen times. It was our last session and I guess Ainsley decided to really go out with a bang and show off for Jenny. My girl. Always surprises. Just yesterday I couldn't get her to nod yes that she wanted to get up from the snack table at school. Things can change just that quick. I'm going to give her some time to do it this way and feel the joy of being able to communicate her wishes (she's pretty pleased with herself) and then later we'll work on getting her to put the head back up afterward and maybe repeat the motion. But this will do for now. I can't believe my girl can now answer a yes or no question. If she wants to, that is.

2 comments:

  1. Just came across your blog. Ainsley is a beautiful and courageous little girl! She's been through so much. You must be so proud of her.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAHHHH COngrats to you both!! I'm so excited...YEAHHHHHH GOOOO AINSLEY

    ReplyDelete