Jan 6, 2010

Day Before Surgery

It's the day before Ainsley's surgery and I can think of nothing else. So I keep myself busy by cleaning, organizing and doing laundry. That's just what I do. When I come back home from being at the hospital for days the last thing I'm going to want to do is clean or do laundry. And the house has been a bit of a disaster since we were "on vacation". The kids need clean clothes. So I see this as surgery prep. Maybe that's weird, I don't know.

We got the call I've been waiting for about a half an hour ago and I'm afraid the news is not good. Our check in time, while I am glad it's not 6:00am, is 1:45. That's check-in. They could easily be running late by that time in the day or even bump us. They have to go through all the pre-op stuff where you meet with the anesthesiologists, doctors, nurses, go over medical history, get height and weight, gown up etc. Then she goes back and gets the IV and sedation. So who knows what time it'll actually be when they start. And it's a 3 hour surgery. So it's going to be a LONG day because IF they start on time they likely won't be done until 6:00pm then they have to get a room ready and that takes time too. I bet we won't be in a room until 8:00pm.

And that surgery time means she'll get her last food at 7:00 am so she has an empty stomach for the surgery. So that means she'll be cranky in the afternoon. Great. And it gives me lots of time to sit around at home and worry. And it means that Steve won't be back home to the kids until late. The upside: At least I get to sleep in. And I'm NOT a morning person! But I really would have preferred to get up and get on with it.

9 comments:

  1. Susan,

    My stomach is in knots for you when I was reading this. Please just know I will be thinking of you both and today I certainly wished I lived closer so I could be there for you. I could be a speedy coffee runner, newspaper fetcher, Go fish card player to keep your mind off the surgery.

    Hugs my friend,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will they let her have pedialyte until an hour before surgery? At least her tummy will feel full and hopefully she will be less cranky. Glad to hear you get to sleep in. I'll be watching for updates!

    (((HUGS)))
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  3. We stop clear liquids at 11:00 unfortunately. But yes, I'll give her a bolus of liquid right before we leave since we are only 20 minutes from the hospital. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Susan. What can I say? I'll be on pins and needles when I go to bed tomorrow night because I don't think I'll be able to stay up late enough to see if you post before you collapse, given the time difference. So, we'll be thinking about you all day and thinking only the very best of thoughts. Eat a hospital hot dog for us, eh? Hugs. Karin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liken the waiting till 2pm to a longer "up" ride on a roller coaster. Ugh.

    Hang in there. Know we're thinking of you. And try to get a good night's sleep.

    Many hugs,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. I'm sorry it's going to be a longer day than hoped for. Hugs.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck, tomorrow, Susan, and we'll be thinking of Ainsley and this next step for her. If you need anything, please email.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan,

    Good luck tomorrow. I know Ainsley will do wonderfully and that everything will come off without a hitch! Please keep us updated on her progress!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been following your blog and am on the tracheostomy site (but haven't written anything yet) all the time since my 4th kiddo was trached a year ago. I think it's great that you (and others) do blogs- let's people across the world know your prayer needs and how special these kids are. Ainsley is beautiful, as are all your kiddos, and I am praying for a successful surgery today!
    blessings from Colorado,
    Darcie (COmommyto4)

    ReplyDelete