Aug 20, 2012

Happiness Week 33

I'd forgotten that when you are a stay-at-home mom with 3 kids your days are largely consumed by mealtimes. Breakfast is easier now that the big kids can get it themselves. But many days it seems that I've just finished cleaning up breakfast and it's already time for lunch. I can get one thing done in between and then it's time to think about dinner. Steve is almost never home so I am cooking dinners too. All this is compounded by having a tube fed child because once meal time is over (Ainsley likes to sit at the table and try to eat) I then have to administer a tube feeding and clean that up. We are working extra hard on oral eating right now. It's hard work and takes even more time but I believe that Ainsley can do it and in the long run it will save us a lot of time.  Ask anyone who's had a tube fed child and transitioning to oral feeding is like your worst picky kid eater you can imagine times ten!  

Sometimes it's really tough to find the happiness when my days are so consumed by Ainsley's care. It's not her fault that she is the way she is but even so it can be difficult not to be resentful at times. It is heartbreaking to feel that way about your child, when at the same time you love them so much that you would trade your life for theirs. It's a crazy mix of feelings. Sometimes you want to give up. You just want an ordinary life doing ordinary things with ordinary problems. But after a good night's sleep I'm usually ready to start fighting again.

Daily Happiness Photos - Week 33

08/13 Ainsley's Smile
***
We are so lucky that Ainsley is so happy. Her smile is contagious. It's been a little wonky because her front teeth have been loose for a very long time. I took this picture to remember her "baby smile" because very soon she is going to be toothless, I suspect for quite awhile.

08/14 Ainsley Stands Without Support
***
Even though it was for less than 5 seconds it felt amazing to see her do this!

08/15 Sister Play
***
I LOVE this photo. Fancy hairdo's, dolls and listening to music. It's a perfect sister moment.

08/16 Cooking Outside
***
The weather is finally hot enough to warrant cooking outside. I was excited to try it, but quickly realized that it's was overrated and not too convenient when your hot pads, colander, plates and silverware etc are in the house. If I was rich I think I'd hire a personal chef (along with a gardener). Still I was glad that I finally cooked a whole meal outside. It was fun.

08/17 Sampler Plate
***
Ugh. My kids are always hungry.  My pantry was full of left over stuff that was in danger of going bad. An idea was born: the sampler plate. I decided to pull out all the bits that needed to be eaten and put it on a plate on the counter top. (There was more, this is what was left when I went to take the photo.) It was a great way to clean out the pantry. Before the day was over it was all gone. I've got to remember this trick. And yes that is a gummy fried egg and chicken feet.

08/18 A Playhouse For the Kids
***
I've always dreamed of the kids having a playhouse and finally they do. It's not completely finished, but finished enough that we could move the furniture in. This was all furniture we already had. The chairs, the rug, the table and everything. This wardrobe used to be our coat closet at the old house. We're going to try using it in here for dress up clothes. I can't wait to see what creative play happens in this space.

08/19 Oball in the Garage
***
After moving some things out of the garage into the playhouse we listed some items for sale and free on Craigslist (if you've never tried it, do.) You can get rid of anything if it's free. I had 8 people email me for a crummy old aluminum ladder and it was gone within hours. By the end of the day we'd made a lot of space and it will be much easier to get in and out of the car now. Steve hung up our Oball. It's tied to a string nailed into the rafter so the kids can bat at it. Ainsley hadn't used it since we were at the old house and she's pretty good at hitting it now. It's excellent PT. And the bonus is that it is positioned to help me know how far to pull the car into the garage. 
**********

To view a slideshow of the entire Happiness Photo Project click here. Confused about what this is or why I'm doing it? Click here for an explanation of what it's all about.

2 comments:

  1. I must say, I just LOVE the picture of Evie and Ainsley together! They just look so adorable! Perfect sister moment indeed. I also loved the picture of your playhouse. It looks awesome! Anyway, I hope you all have a fabulous week and a wonderful weekend. :D
    From, Abby :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got introduced to your blog and it is very interesting- I am
    Interested in a blenderized diet for my son with his new mini one button , it is about a month old and I have very aggregated granulation tissue do you have any remedies thought the tea tree oil was working but he is so active it keeps GROWING help!!!

    ReplyDelete